We begin at ‘zero’ with our first contractor Q/A. Another contractor adds ‘one’ to our active look at licensing law. I will ‘second’ the motion suggested for a NV question, while our last inquiry needs ‘three’ trades to be successful, ‘generally’…

Q: I am an attorney and my client is purchasing a construction business. He has never been licensed and doesn’t quite have the requisite experience, so the seller is going to be the Qualifier on the new license. It will be a Limited Liability Company (LLC). Is there a requirement for the seller to have ownership in the company?

A: No, it is not a requirement for the seller to have ownership in the LLC. With zero percent ownership, the seller can only Qualify one active license at a time.

Q: What do I need to do to add a ‘dba’ or Doing Business As, to my license?

A: You need to complete and submit a Name Change application. Additionally, the CSLB just recently started to require that when a Contractor will be using a dba, they must show proof of the dba registration with the County.

Q: A long time ago (2009-10) you assisted us with some license applications in California and Nevada. We currently have a “C-1” license in Nevada (Plumbing and Heating). We want to start a fire sprinkler division in Nevada. I did some research on the Nevada State Contractors Board Web site, and found the following: “The fabrication and installation of all systems of sprinklers for protection from fire, including the appurtenance, is a sub-classification (“C-1b”) of the “C-1” Plumbing and heating contracting license,” and “The Board will grant to qualified applicants a license in the specialty of plumbing and heating contracting. The Board designates such a license as a “classification “C-1” license. A person who holds a classification C-1 license may perform any of the work authorized for the sub-classifications of the classification “C-1” license.” This sounds like we are already authorized to do fire sprinkler work in Nevada under our “C-1” license, but I need verification of that.

A: You are correct! The C-1 allows you to perform any and all of the subclassifica tions, which includes Boilers (C-1a), Fire Sprinklers (C-1b), Insulation of Pipes and Ducts (C-1c), Plumbing (C1d), Sheet Metal (C-1e), Heating, Cooling and Circulating Air (C-1f), Pipes and Vents for Gas (C-1g), Water Heaters (C1h), Chilled-Water Piping (C-1i), Systems to Replenish Breathing Air for Firefighters (C-1j), and Industrial Piping C-1k).

Q: I currently have a Fencing license. I would like to obtain a General Building license. What are your thoughts on the difficulty of adding a “B” classification to my license?

A: You will likely have to provide the CSLB with further documentation (beyond the standard Certification of Work Experience page) showing that you were performing “B” work with a fencing license. Remember it has to be four years of full-time work doing General Building work (which must include framing and at least two unrelated trades).

Q: I have a license as a Sole Proprietorship. I’ve never had an employee so I have “Exemption from Worker’s Comp” on file with the CSLB. My business has really picked up and I’m going to need to hire one or two people to work for me. Once I hire people, how do I go about notifying the CSLB? Any information you can give me to provide to the insurance company would be helpful.

A: Once you have an insurance policy and employees, you have 90 days to notify the CSLB. The certificate must be written by an insurance company licensed through the CA Department of Insurance. It must list the CSLB as the Certificate Holder. You are required to have your exact business name as the “insured” and your license number must be listed on it.

Q: I recently had a customer ask why I didn’t have my license number on my truck. It is my personal truck that I also use for business. Am I required to have my license number on it?

A: B&P Code section 7029.6 states that a licensed contractor with a vehicle used for his or her construction business, for which a commercial vehicle registration fee has been paid should have his or her business name and contractor’s license number in a clearly visible location on the vehicle, in print type of at least 72-point font or three-quarters of an inch in height and width.

By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, Inc. www.cutredtape.com