Even when you believe you’ve done everything right the results may surprise you without expert help. As our second contractor learns as well, complex rules make every word count in how they apply. ‘Expect’ a surprise before the end and ‘at least’ a good lesson in licensing rules…

Q: We recently filed to replace our Qualifier, who left the company some time ago. When I had originally called the CSLB, they advised me to submit the Replacement application along with a request for a 90-day extension, which is exactly what we did. Now our license is Suspended. It appears the CSLB didn’t process the extension request. I have been unable to get a hold of anyone in the license modification unit over there. Is there anything you can do to help?

A: Once a contractor’s license status reflects “suspended” it is very difficult to get the CSLB to reverse the Suspension until the problem has been rectified. Keep in mind the 90-day extension request, is just a request, so the CSLB always has the authority to deny it. If you have some sort of proof (such as a date stamped copy of the replacement application along with the extension request) showing it was submitted in plenty of time prior to your deadline, send it to me and I’ll see what I can find out.

Q: I have been a “C-10” Electrical contractor since 2000. I want to be an RME (Responsible Managing Employee) for a company and I read online that I’m required to work 32 hours per week. The company is telling me I need to work 40 hours a week and they are not budging. Can you confirm the requirement?

A: The CSLB requires that RME’s work at least 32 hours per week. However, perhaps this company has an internal policy which requires employees to work 40 hours per week. That’s kind of the employer’s call.

Q: I am the RME on my company’s license. I had to Inactivate my personal license in order to Qualify theirs. If I were to leave the company, is it “expected” that the company pay to reinstate my license, bond, and insurance?

A: Not that I’m aware of. I’m quite sure it happens, but that would be something you’d have to negotiate with your company. There is no “expectation” for that cost to fall on them.

Q: I have a “C-33” license and I just purchased 50% shares of the General Building company I’ve been an Officer of for the past couple of years. I need to replace the Qualifier on the license for the “B” classification. Will I be able to get a Waiver of the Trade exam?

A: I looked up the license and it was only issued in 2015. In order to Qualify for a Waiver, you would have to have been either an Officer or a Supervisory Employee for the company for at least five years.

Q: We need to change our Qualified Individual and we have an employee currently holding an Inactive license who is willing to Qualify our license. We submitted the Application for Original Contractor’s License “Waiver”. I’m trying to follow up and get some status but all I can see is there has been a rejection of some sort. I’ve been unable to get a hold of a live person at the CSLB. Can you help?

A: Hmmm…sounds like you mistakenly submitted the incorrect application, which is likely reason for the rejection. Because you already have a license and are looking to update your Qualifier, you should have actually submitted the Application for Replacing the Qualifying Individual. This will require that you withdraw your current “Waiver” application, and you will be issued a new application number for the Replacement application.

By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, Inc. Email: [email protected]