Our first inquiry shows us the value of on-the-job experience. Next, we look at the time frame of a Joint Venture license. Another license applicant learns a reminder on fingerprinting rules as well as a few other issues affecting the business.


Q: I have over fifteen years of experience in the Construction industry. My experience is in a supervising role, not physically performing the work. The current and past managers will not likely sign a document that mis-represents my experience.

A: That is understandable, I wouldn’t recommend that either! In order to be the qualifier though, you do have to have at least one year of practical hands-on experience (within the last ten)


Q: What is the time frame for obtaining a Joint Venture license? We have a project coming up that we’d like to bid on as a Joint Venture. If I remember correctly, there is a law that provides for us to bid on the project prior to licensure, we just can’t start the work until the license is issued. Is that correct?

A: The process of obtaining a Joint Venture license moves fairly quickly (usually 7-10 business days) assuming you submit all the required items together initially. You are correct, B&P Code Section 7029.1(b) states “Prior to obtaining a joint venture license, contractors licensed in accordance with this chapter may jointly bid for the performance of work covered by this section.” As you stated, work cannot start until the JV license is issued.


Q: I am just wondering if, during these COVID times, the CSLB has changed their status at all regarding fingerprinting via live scan outside of CA. Our company is not allowing for travel right now, and I’ve heard not many fingerprinting locations are open in CAright now anyway

A: No, the fingerprinting process remains the same. If an individual wants to do them via live scan, he/she must complete them within California. If an individual cannot come to CA, they need to do the hard copy fingerprint cards and have their prints rolled. I don’t foresee the CSLB ever changing this requirement, as it’s not up to them. The FBI and DOJ are the agencies responsible for running the fingerprints and background checks.


Q: I am an attorney and I have used and referred your services in the past. One of my clients contacted me and he actually hired another consulting firm to assist him with the process of obtaining a license. While I am encouraging him to call you to pick it up from here, the other consultant requested that my client sign a POA (Power of Attorney) in order to handle the process on his behalf. Is this something that you’ve heard of?

A: Yes, Capitol Services gives applicants that option as well, obviously assuming they are comfortable doing so. The CSLB requires a POA be in file in order to communicate with anyone other than the applicant with regards to their application.


Q: I have been the President/CEO for a California Corporate Contractor’s license since its inception. We have one Qualifier who has a “B” (General Building), and another who has the “C-39” (Roofing). The General Qualifier came on the license on 12-15-15 and the Roofing on 12-20-16. I understood I can get the licenses without an exam for the “B” and “C-39” as long as I have been on the license for five years. Is that the case? Can you please clarify? 

A: You are correct that once you’ve been an Officer on a license, or even a Supervisory Employee for at least five years, you can apply to replace the Qualifier and request to Waive the exams. The classifications would have to have been on the license for five years. So, it sounds like you’d be eligible to Waive the General classification after 12-15 of this year since that would be five years. Since the “C-39” came on the license on 12-20-16, a waiver wouldn’t be an option until after 12-20-2021. Keep in mind that a license is only eligible for a waiver request once every five years, so you might just want to wait until after 12-20- 21 and do them both at the same time.


Q: I have been slowly winding down my business that has a General Building license. It’s a Sole Proprietorship. I obtained the license in the Eighties and I’d really like to Incorporate and form a Corporation in order for my two Sons to take over the number and continue operating under the same business name. Is that possible and can you assist with that? 

A: Yes! That is possible and we can assist with that. In order to transfer the license number from a Sole Owner to a Corporation, you would have to initially own at least 51% of the Corporation. That would allow your Sons/Corporation to retain your license number with the same business name, assuming the name is available with the CA Secretary of State and ok with the CSLB. 


By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, lnc. www.cutredtape.com