By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, Inc. Email: [email protected]

A contractor ‘stepping up to the plate’ for his first application ‘triples’ a question down the right line in seeking expert advice. An- other interested in getting back to work discovers there is an extra step or two because of his ‘inactivity’. Like a rerun of Johnny Carson’s re- run of The Tonight Show’s fortune teller act Karnak-The-Great, I ‘telecommunicate’ an answer for an electrical contractor…

Q: We currently have a “C-10” (Electrical) license. I am aware that we can do low voltage work with our current license, however some of our cus- tomer’s request that we have a “C-7” (low voltage) license in order to do tele- communications work. How difficult would it be to add that classification to our license? Would I have to take the test?

A: B&P Code section 7065.3 allows for Contractors to request a Waiver of the Trade Exam for some additional classifications – if the classification is closely related to your current license and is a significant portion of the work you perform. These waiver requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and is dependent on your work experience and project background, but I believe you would have a pretty good chance of being approved to Waive the exam based on your “C-10” experience. Waiver requests need to be done in writing.

Q: I’m scheduled to take the “B” (General Building) exam at the end of the month. (1) If I don’t pass how much does it cost to retake it? (2) How long do I have to wait to take it again? (3) Is there a limit to the number of times I can take it?

A: If you fail the exam you are required to pay a $60 rescheduling fee. The fee should be submitted with the application on the bottom of the notice informing you that you didn’t pass. The CSLB will then reschedule you for the exam (usually about 3 weeks out), and you can take the exam as many times as needed within an 18-month period. If you don’t pass within 18 months, your application ‘strikes out’ and will be void.

Q: I have an inactive license that I obtained years ago and I want to reactivate it. The Responsible Managing Employee (RME) that I used to obtain the license no longer works with me and I want to become the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) on the license. Can I still reactivate it?

A: Yes, however, a reactivation application requires the signature of your Qualifier. Therefore, I would suggest completing an Application to Replace your qualifier in order to then add yourself as the RMO, and then request a reactivation application. Call if you need any assistance.

Q: I am in the process of completing an application for a Nevada Contractor’s License. The application states that we need to provide a financial statement no more than a year old. Our fiscal year end is March 31st so the last audit that we had done is dated March 2015.

Our next audit will not be complete for another month, which is exactly when the bid date is for the project we are seeking in Nevada. Will the Nevada Board accept our last financial statement if we provide a letter from our accountant stating that new one is not complete yet and explaining that March 31st is our fiscal year end? If not, can I at least take the exam ahead of time?

A: No, unfortunately Nevada will not budge on the requirement. You absolutely have to provide a financial statement dated within the last year. They will not approve you to take the exam prior to providing an acceptable financial statement.